Step 4 Dealing with your non-priority debts

What if I have a complaint about my credit agreement?

You have a right to complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service about how your lender or a debt collection agency has dealt with your account. You will have to follow your lender’s complaints procedure first, but your lender only has one opportunity to deal with your complaint before you can ask the ombudsman to look at it. To make a complaint to the ombudsman, you need to fill in their complaints form. You can either do this over the phone or download the form from their website.

See our fact sheet:

Complaining about your lender

You may also be able to ask the County Court to look at the relationship between you and your lender. This could lead to the court changing the terms of the agreement and even reducing the balance, or ordering your lender to pay the loan payments back to you. For more information about the unfair relationships test, contact us for advice.

What if I already have a county court judgment?

If you already have a county court judgment, you should include this debt with your non-priority debts and work out an offer of payment in the same way.

What if my creditors take court action?

If this offer of payment is less than the amount the court has ordered you to pay, you may need to apply to the court to reduce the amount. This will mean you are treating all your creditors fairly and you are not paying one creditor more than you can afford. If you need to reduce the amount that you have to pay on a county court judgment, contact us for advice.