Step 1 increasing your income

​Help with gas, electricity, water and sewerage costs

See our fact sheet:

Budgeting, saving and borrowing.

  • Can you cut down on the amount of energy you use? Contact the Home Energy Scotland Hotline on 0808 808 2282 for more information. The Energy Saving Trust has a grants and discounts tool on its website which tells you about grants and offers available in Scotland. GOV.UK has a calculator which tells you what help you can get with energy grants and heating costs.
  • Contact your supplier to find out what help they can provide.



Turn2us is a charity that helps people in financial need get access to benefits, charitable grants and other financial help. See, which has a benefits calculator and other advice about benefits, as well as a grants search tool, or ring the helpline on 0808 802 2000.

  • You may be able to save some money by switching to a different energy supplier. This may work out cheaper, particularly if you have both gas and electricity from the same supplier. If you owe money to your energy supplier, you may not be accepted by a new supplier but you should be allowed to switch if you have a prepayment meter and owe less than £500. There are a number of independent price-comparison websites that can help you find the best deal. Contact the Citizens Advice consumer service for a list of authorised companies, or check the list on Ofgem's website.
  • If you have a closed energy account with an amount of credit still in it, contact the supplier to get this credit back. See the page Closed accounts with credit balances on Energy UK's website for more information.
  • Some energy and water companies have trust funds and support schemes that may be able to give you help to pay your bills if you are in financial difficulties. Ask your energy company if they run a scheme or contact us for details. Get information about trust funds and support schemes you can apply to for financial help by going to the Auriga Services website Click on the link to the Help with Water & Energy booklet at the top of the page. If your supplier does not have a trust fund, you can apply to the British Gas Energy Trust for help, even if you are not a consumer of British Gas.
  • If you are a single person it is usually cheaper to pay for your water with your council tax. For larger households it could be cheaper to go on a water meter, or if you can’t have a water meter, ask for an assessed charge.
  • If you have reached pensionable age, you may be entitled to a lump sum each year called the Winter Fuel Payment. Ring the Winter Fuel Payments helpline on 0845 915 1515.