Step 1 increasing your income

Child Tax Credit


Child Tax Credit is paid to people with responsibility for children (under 16 or under 20 if the children are in full-time education or certain kinds of approved training). It can be paid whether you are in or out of work, unless you are being paid Universal Credit instead. The amount you will get depends on your income. Special rules apply to new arrivals in the UK, contact us for advice. For information, ring the Tax Credit Helpline on 0345 300 3900. In time, this will be replaced by Universal Credit.