Step 1 Increasing your income

​Minimum wage

If you are also employed, check that you are being paid at least the national minimum wage. This usually goes up every year in October. The minimum wage you are entitled to depends on your age. If you think you are being paid too little, ring the Government’s Pay and Work Rights Helpline on 0800 917 2368 for further advice.


Everyone is entitled to a personal tax allowance (or tax-free amount), but there are all sorts of tax allowances and tax reliefs available. These depend on your age and personal circumstances. Read more about your entitlement to tax allowances and reliefs on the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group website. If you are still in doubt, contact HM Revenue & Customs on 0300 200 3300. Contact us if you have any questions.


backdated tax allowances

You can still ask for tax allowances to be given to you for earlier years, even if you do not qualify now. Make these claims as soon as possible as there are time limits. If you think this might apply to you, check with your tax office or contact us for advice.