Step 1 Increasing your income

Housing Benefit

You may be able to get help with your rent by claiming Housing Benefit from your local council if you are on benefits or a low income. In certain situations, your Housing Benefit can be paid directly to your landlord. Contact us for advice.

The Government has put a cap on how much you can receive in benefits if you and your partner are of working age but not working. This is known as the benefit cap. This applies if your combined income from certain benefits is over a set amount and means that the amount of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit you receive may be reduced.

This cap will not apply if anyone in your household receives particular disability-related benefits and some other pensions.

Extra advice:

when the benefit cap does not apply

If you are paid Housing Benefit, the benefit cap will not apply for nine months if you (or your partner) have lost a job which you have held for a year or more and you have not been on certain benefits during that time. The cap will also not apply for nine months to people getting Universal Credit whose earnings have been over a set amount during the previous year. Contact us for advice.

If you are of working age and you rent your home from a council or housing association, your local council may reduce the amount of Housing Benefit they will pay you if they decide that you have more bedrooms than you need. This is commonly known as the ‘bedroom tax’. This does not affect some properties and people in certain situations. Contact us for advice.