Step 4 Dealing with your non-priority debts

What if I have a complaint about my credit agreement?

You have a right to complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service about how your lender or a debt collection agency has dealt with your account. You will have to follow your lender’s complaints procedure first, but your lender only has one opportunity to deal with your complaint before you can ask the ombudsman to look at it. To make a complaint to the ombudsman, you need to fill in their complaints form. You can either do this over the phone or download the form from their website.

See our fact sheet:

Complaining about your lender

You may also be able to ask the sheriff court to look at the relationship between you and your lender. This could lead to the court changing the terms of the agreement and even reducing the balance, or ordering your lender to pay the loan payments back to you. For more information about the unfair relationships test, contact us for advice.

What if I already have a sheriff court decree?

See our fact sheet:

Time to pay directions and orders

If you already have a sheriff court decree, you need to decide whether or not to include any payments that the court has ordered, which should be shown in the household outgoings section of your household budget sheet, or whether to apply to the court to change the payments. Contact us for advice.

What if my creditors take court action?