Step 2 Work out your business and household budget


Gas and electricity​

If you are on a regular payment plan for your gas and electricity, include the amount you are paying every month in the Your household outgoings section of Your budget. If you are paying your bills quarterly (every three months), work out the total cost of your last four bills and divide this by 12 to find out the cost each month. Gas and electricity cost less if you pay by monthly direct debit from a bank account.

If you are behind with any energy payments, only include your normal energy payments in the Your household outgoings section of Your budget. There is space later on to include details of any payments you are making towards any arrears.

Household gas and electricity


Water and sewerage charge

These are usually collected with council tax unless you are on a water meter. You cannot claim Council tax Reduction to help with these payments. But, if you receive full Council Tax Reduction, you will be entitled to up to 25% off your water and sewerage charges. this should be applied automatically and you shouldn't have to claim it.

Help with gas, electricity, water and sewerage costs

Care and health costs

Childcare costs

This might include childminder fees, nursery fees and the cost of after-school clubs. If you have extra costs because your child is ill or disabled, or if you receive Disability Living Allowance or the Personal Independence Payment because your child is disabled, contact us for advice about how to show these costs in your personal budget.

Adult care costs

Make sure you include any extra costs you have if you or your partner are ill or disabled. If you would like help with how to show these costs in your personal budget, contact us for advice.

Child maintenance or child support

This means maintenance paid to someone else by you or your partner, not maintenance you or your partner receive. Include voluntary payments and any payments ordered by the court, the Child Support Agency (CSA) or the Child Maintenance Service (CMS).

Child maintenance