Step 1 increasing your income

​Help from grants, advances and loans



Turn2us is a charity that helps people in financial need get access to benefits, charitable grants and other financial help. Check what benefits you may be able to get using the Turn2us benefits calculator and other advice about benefits, as well as a grants search tool, or ring the helpline on 0808 802 2000. ​

  • Check with your local council to see if you can get help with the costs of repairs to your home through their Scheme of Assistance. This will depend on your income, whether you have a disability and what repairs need doing in your home. Some councils offer disabled people and people aged over 60 'care and repair' facilities. Check care and repair information on
  • If you are pregnant or have a child under four and you are on certain benefits, or you are pregnant and under
    18, you may qualify for help with the cost of milk, fruit, vegetables and vitamins under the Healthy Start scheme. Contact the Healthy Start Issuing Unit on 0845 607 6823 to find out if you qualify for this scheme.
  • If you have no income or there is an emergency or disaster, you can apply for help from your local council through the Scottish Welfare Fund.