Online advice from Business Debtline’s website


You can view this website to get detailed information to help you deal with your business and personal debts. You can also fill in sample letters to send to your creditors and work out Your budget online.

Extra help if you have  mental-health difficulties

If you have mental-health difficulties, extra help is available to support you.

There are a number of organisations that may be able to provide you with different types of support.

Anxiety UK supports those living with anxiety disorders by providing information, support and understanding through a range of different services.

The Scottish Association for Mental Health answer general mental-health queries, advise you on your rights and signpost you to your local services.

Support in Mind Scotland works to improve the wellbeing and quality of life of people affected by serious mental illness. This includes those who are family members, carers and supporters.

Samaritans are there to help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or will just be there to listen.

Sane provides care and emotional support for people with mental-health problems, their families and carers as well as information for other organisations and the public.

Extra guidelines apply to many organisations that you are in contact with. We can explain these guidelines to you and how you can use them to help deal with your debts.

Companies that charge for advice


use free advice

You could better spend the money you pay in fees by paying off your debts.

You may come across companies that offer to sort out your debts if you pay a fee. Be very careful to look at what the company is promising to do for you before sending them any money. Some of these companies say they will get your creditors to write off part, or all, of your debts. Unless you have special circumstances, this is unlikely to happen.


  • Ask the company if they are authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority.
  • The Financial Conduct Authority has issued its Consumer Credit sourcebook (CONC) setting out rules and guidance for debt management companies. You can use the rules and guidance to make a complaint if the company does not follow them.
  • You can make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service if you are not happy with the outcome of your complaint to the company.
  • Professional advice on dealing with your debts is always available free from agencies such as Citizens Advice, money advice centres, or by ringing Business Debtline. Remember, instead of paying fees to a debt-management company, you could be better off using the money to pay off your debts instead.